Would you look at that. All I needed was Reading Break to have some FOs to show for myself. A pair of socks which are now on their way to their future owner, and an Argosy to boot, using up most of one more ball of the bottomless Brunswick SheepsWool worsted stash:
Count me in with the fans of this pattern who are already crowding the blogosphere. The charts are small, easy to get the hang of. It's modular and could be adapted for just about any yarn. No wonder the Mason-Dixon ladies have already turned it into a blanket. The only drawback for me was how it started to wilt in at the sides, after blocking (probably a combo of the yarn and the lacy-ness of the pattern). But, it makes a nice light scarf that'll be even better for the spring/fall mid-range weather, and for the colder days it's long enough to wrap around twice. Three cheers.
Then, since I finally emailed something resembling a chapter draft to my supervisor yesterday (an almost-FO of another kind), and felt totally fried, I let myself swatch and cast on for 1930. I thought I would be saving this project for another couple months, figuring it would take me a while to look for the right yarn online and order it. But then last week, as G and I went on a run to Michael's, I saw the Paton's Grace on the shelf.
Now, I admit I've had my fair share of yarn snob moments over the years. (Ew, acrylic? Gag me. And that yarn selection at Michael's? Like, OMG, live in the now, people, we are so over all those Lion Brand and Bernat novelty blends, whatevs.) But then there are moments like last week when I remember that every yarn really does have A Place In This World and feel humbled. I'd written off good old dependable Patons for the shiny, shiny, Internet stores, but here was the perfect thing for this project, in every colour you could want. So we zipped down the highway to Len's Mill Store where it was discounted $0.50/ball more, and their sewing department had all the other notions I needed. Done and done.
The colour's a light taupe with a bit of a green-ish tint, called Champagne. Champagne undies. Plotz with me.
When I read the pattern and saw she was getting 6 stitches per inch on 2.75mm on sport weight cotton, I thought this was a little cracked out. Then I tried it for myself. After swatching on 3.25mm and found it too tight, I swatched on 3.50mm and did get gauge. Only to complete the bra band and find it was almost 4 inches too big. Ripped it out, re-measured, went again on 3.25mm which might now be leaning to the snug side, but there's room to stretch in blocking. It was then, after nursing my whimpering wrists and fingers, that I rethought the author's 2.75mm. And remembered that this is cotton and loose tension is your friend. And if I never again have to cast on a row of 200 cotton stitches, I can live with that.
This afternoon, I have one little letter to work on, then it's on to the next piece. Fun. Oh, and it's full of snow outside and there's hot cups of cocoa for my sad hands to hold. Someone stop me from eating the marshmallows right from the back instead of putting them in the cocoa where they belong.