Thing 1: I have been unwittingly knitting with two different dye lots... because in my euphoria of stupidity, we'll call it, I forgot to check when I bought the yarn. It only didn't become apparent until I soaked the pieces to block them. Sure enough, right there, I had two huge stripes of dye mis-matches right across two of the undies panels.
Thing 2: The cotton is stretching, not a lot, but enough to be uncomfortable. At first I figured, nah, I can still save this. I'll see what I can do right after I
Thing 3: The fit is actually pretty fine overall, except for the size I picked. My measurements fell in between two sizes so I sized up. Wrong-o. When combined with the stretchiness, I'm gonna be left with some saggy granny-panties. Which isn't the feeling the pattern is going for, I think.
So I have now what G, who has been vicariously watching through this whole process, is calling a "little pile of sadness". The dye-lot problems I don't actually mind too much, but along with the rest it's a no-go. I'll have to rip it all out, and re-knit the bra band and undies in a smaller size, with some elastic thread for re-inforcement. When, I'm not sure.
I could start now and try to just get it off the WIP list (unfinished things are bugging me in thesis-life and knitting-life these days), or let it sit and go back to Icarus or the Brennan cardigan. The cardi has really been so patient. I started it almost a year ago, thought I would be finished ages ago, but it's been passed over for newer sexier more glamourous knitting. The gals are coming over tonight for dessert & drinks. Time to consult the hive mind.